Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Downtown Employee

The following true story is proof that men DO know how to ask for directions:

While walking to work this morning from East End Garage, a man stopped me at the corner of Gibbs Street and East Avenue to ask for directions to the nearest coffee shop. Feeling sympathetic for a gentlemen who needed a morning Cup of Joe, I didn't question his sanity as I normally would have. I let down my tunnel vision because he was walking in a straight line, didn't make suggestive comments or ask me for money.

Melisa: "Java's is a great cafe and is about two doors down on your right" (points to Java's).


View Larger Map


Gentleman: "Thank you so much, I really need breakfast. Can I ask you one more favor...?"

Melisa: (Begins to walk away assuming that he is about to ask for money)

Gentleman: "....Can you give me directions to the Genesee River? I'm trying to get to Olean and need to be home by Tuesday."

Melisa: "Left on Main, Left on Exchange. The river will be on your left."

Gentleman: (Eyes wide open, looking around and up at the sky): "Thanks so much for all of your help. I've only been in Rochester for about 5 minutes. This is a cute little town. I'm a rail traveler from Washington D.C. I took a train to Buffalo and walked here along the Erie Canal. Now, I'm going to follow the river..."

2 comments:

James said...

I like the use of the google maps...very nice touch.

Melly said...

It's too bad that I didn't have a map when I gave him directions to the river...

All I needed to say was "Left on Main" instead of sending him to Corn Hill Landing.