Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hurricane Gustav Relief Trip: Day 1

When my co-workers and I arrived safely in the Gulf Coast this afternoon, I wasn't sure where we would be needed the most during our Hurricane Relief trip. On the long car ride from New Orleans, LA to Ocean Springs, MI, it was unsettling to see how much debris still seems to go on for miles - I'll post photos upon my return. Camp Victor, a disaster response agency, that provides lodging and volunteer assignments was also impacted by the recent hurricanes:

"Volunteers [are] needed immediately for help restoring Camp Victor Ministry’s roof and dorm rooms after Hurricane Gustav!"

I was happy to hear that there are going to be 200+ volunteers coming to Camp Victor in October. However, the dorms are a mess and Bank of America is the only source of volunteers for this week. My co-workers and I are going to spend our week ripping out carpeting, painting the walls/floors, covering electrical outlets, and moving furniture.

I introduced the "I'm thankful for..." box this evening so that we can open it and reflect during our Appreciation Ceremony/Dinner on Friday night. I am thankful that I don't have to repair the roof over my head. I am also thankful that this trip is going smoothly. We have a great and diverse set of personalities and we are all excited about our upcoming week of community service.

2 comments:

S said...

good luck! Keep us posted! :)

Anonymous said...

U said it sister... good synopsis. This has been great so far, and I bet there is more fun, friendship & good times to come.