Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Thanksgiving Gift

I went to Carlton United Methodist church in Waterport (just north of Albion) last week to see Mark Randall as Charles Dickens in a one man performance of A Christmas Carol with my Dad, Ruth, and her Mom. After the show, a woman approached me and the following conversation took place:

Woman: "Hi, by any chance is your father's name Paul?"

Me: "Yes, he is."

Woman: "I thought so. You probably don't remember me but I knew you when you were a little girl and this tall. [lowers her hand above her knee]. I just wanted to tell you that you've grown into a beautiful woman."

While we were catching up about the last 20 + years, I was trying to figure out why I didn't recognize this woman at all. I've had this conversation many times when I come home to Albion but I'm usually able to recall at least one memory with the person who remembers me. I felt bad that this woman was so kind and I felt like I had never seen her before.

On Thanksgiving, my Dad told me that he was also surprised that this woman picked me out of the crowd. She remembered me from Albion United Methodist church - the church where I was baptized, the church I attended with my Mom and Dad, and the church my Dad and I left shortly after my Mom passed...

My Dad was so surprised that he approached her later that evening and had the following conversation:

My Dad: "I'm very curious. You haven't seen Melisa since she was 3 years old. How did you know that was her?"

Woman: "I recognized Barb."

No comments: